Mission of the Ministry:
New Community Warming Center is an in house ministry to homeless and marginalized individuals. We seek to model the love of God by offering a caring community, provision for basic physical needs, and support to those who seek to improve their lives.
The center is a place for folks to get out of the elements for a few hours each day, share a meal with friends, and get connected to resources. We help with physical needs, like clothing, toiletries, food, and basic healthcare. Individuals are able to stay in touch with family, job leads, and social workers through phone, mail, and internet access. Referrals are available for services such as shelter, recovery, and education. We care for individuals by building genuine friendships and connecting them to the church community.
We believe that all people have been created by a God who loves them, in his own image, and are deserving of dignity, respect, and opportunity.
We believe God calls his church to reflect his heart for the poor, homeless, and marginalized by meeting their physical and spiritual needs, and committing to love them unconditionally.
How Can I Get Involved?
Volunteer at the Center (If interested, please fill out an Application)
Center hours are Tuesday – Thursday, 10am – 3pm
Volunteers are crucial to this ministry; without volunteers, we would not be open. It has been an incredible blessing to see the life changing relationships that form between our guests and the people who have taken the time to volunteer. Some volunteer opportunities include:
- Donation management (sort and separate clothing and toiletries, help distribute to guests)
- Meals (help prepare and serve simple meals, serve coffee)
- Administrative help (sort mail, answer phones, data entry, spreadsheet creations, general office work)
- Support our guests (offer computer tutoring, help connect them to resources, be a listening ear, offer prayer and encouragement, play chess)
- Clean and organize (help daily maintain a sanitary and well-care for space)
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Laundry assistance (take our weekly donations to a laundromat)
- Administrative support from home (email, mailings, long term projects, data entry)
- Volunteer/donate towards holiday dinners (Christmas, Super bowl, Thanksgiving)
- Assemble hygiene kits (can be done by groups or individuals)
- Volunteer professionals (Computer/Database Experts, Photographers, Barbers, Counselors, Carpenters, Plumbers, Security, ESL teachers, Lawyers, Caterers, etc. Let your gifts be used!)
Financial contribution can be made through egive.
If you would like to donate material goods such as clothing or toiletries, please first read our Donation Policy. A list of acceptable donations can be found here. You may also choose to donate items from our Wishlist!
Dave and Amy Verdin
2610 N. Francisco Ave,
Chicago, IL 60647
(Inside Church of the Advent)
(find us on facebook)